How to make Aloe Vera Gel (from aloe juice)

Not everybody is so lucky to have a plant of Aloe Vera.
Personally I have one but my heart doesn’t let me chop off a leg or an arm from it.😀
Nevertheless when you buy “Aloe vera Gel” usually it is maximum 95% made of Aloe vera, remaining 5% (and this is not a little amount!!!) are other things.
So here is a recipe to make 99% Aloe vera gel where the remaining 1% is composed of Xanthan Gum (natural gelling substance) and preservative.

Preservative is an important step. I know many people who want to do “natural cosmetics” don’t want to use preservatives, but preservative doesn’t necessarily mean “bad”. There are many kinds of preservatives right now; you can choose a paraben free and 100% biodegradable (like the Cosgard which i am using).
The importance of preservatives is that they don’t permit the growth of bacteria inside our water-based cream/gel. If you really don’t want to use a preservative then you should save your gel or cream in the fridge and use it up in maximum one week time.

Recipe:
99   gr – 100% Aloe Vera Juice
0.6 gr – Xanthan Gum
0.6 gr Cosgard (I know this doesn’t make 100 grams but 100.2 grams😀 I can count too, but some preservatives need to be added in smaller amount and anyway 100.2 gr in a bottle of 100 ml doesn’t make a big difference😀 that’s all)

28 thoughts on “How to make Aloe Vera Gel (from aloe juice)

I was starting from an aloe vera juice with pieces of aloe vera inside… so I filtered it in order to get only the juice out and make a smooth gel.
      If your juice doesn’t have pieces of aloe vera inside… of course there’s no need for this step😉

1. quietpaddle2991.newsvine.Com says:

It’s a pity you don’t have a donate button! I’d most certainly donate
    to this fantastic blog! I suppose for now i’ll
    settle for bookmarking and adding your RSS feed to
    my Google account. I look forward to new updates and will talk about this blog with my Facebook group.
    Chat soon!

2. Mary says:

Can I use “Fruit Of The Earth Aloe Vera Juice With 99.8% Aloe” and use your recipe to turn into a gel?.

you mean if you can put 1 gram in 99 grams of water, in order to have double the “power”?
      You COULD, the problem is that sometimes it doesn’t melt well enough and it can create problems.
      Also, even if you were to use this powder in a very small amount of water (let’s say 1 gram of powder in 10 grams of water) it wouldn’t still do any magic😀
      So it is up to you I guess🙂

it would be quite safe if you, of course, add a preservative.
      This said, it is an issue whenever you add some kind of powder or even just herbal extract to any cosmetic: the risk microbes will grow more is real (because the environment is better for them as it is for us)🙂
      But still, since you wouldn’t get any special result at using aloe even 5 times as suggested… I wouldn’t suggest you to exceed with it🙂
      but you can obviously make your experiments and choose by yourself🙂

You could but you wouldn’t get what you want to get: the two ingredients are not very compatible, in fact the aloe vera pH doesn’t match with the pH of sodium hyaluronate. This leads to a much less firm gel (and less effective).

Hello Priya!🙂
      You can, but what will be the “sanitizing” ingredient? Because I am afraid it might denaturate aloe or make the gel collapse.
      But sure you can experiment with this recipe😀 it is not “mine”🙂
      btw, Priya, I might be wrong but you sound Indian. I am in India at the moment and I would like to know if you have any place where to buy cosmetic ingredients in India? Any website?
      I know I could import, but I am afraid of duties!

3. Allie says:

Hello. Thanks for your helpful posts. Im wondering if i use sodium carbormer – do u use it before? When i put into water it didnt disperse. I dont have carbopol utrez 21 here so i could only use sodium carbomer. Can you help me out? How to completely disperse it in the water? Thanks alot. Any answer will be greatly appreciate.
    Thanks,
    Allie

I have never used sodium carbomer as nobody sells it here.
      Can you please explain better how you added it to the water?
      Had you already added the aloe?
      Because aloe is quite acidic and sodium carbomer doesn’t seem to agree with it so it would be better to let the carbomer hydrate in a portion of water, then add aloe powder (or did you use juice?) to the remaining water and mix them together only after the sodium carbomer has hydrated.
      It sounds a bit weird only cause this type of carbomer should hydrate quite easily compared to utrez 21!🙂 or at least this is what a website selling it says!